Friday, February 6, 2015

Webcam Hackers

Insecam.com Screen shot curtsy of 
Insecam.com Screen shot curtsy fromhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article
-2824960/Creepy-website-allows -people-watch-live-stream-900-surveillance-cameras-country.html
How can someone hack their way into your webcam, with security cam, or baby monitor and watch you and your loved ones without you even knowing about it? In 2013, a cyber creep took over a baby monitor to spy on a 2-year-old Texas girl using Insecam to get the baby monitors feed. The father of the daughter whose camera was hacked checked his cameras and router where password protected and the firewall was enabled which means someone had to hack their way into the camera. Insecam and other websites that feature live feed cameras should be investigated for their legality with and whether or not they should be shut down. Insecam has been under review in Australia for its big use their and in England for its use there and is now being looked at in the US where there are currently over 11 thousand camera feeds available.

I think that websites like this is should be shut down because they have to hack into the cameras to display their feeds in the first place, which is a breach of security and violates laws of hacking and computer fraud. As I said before they are violating hacking laws pointed out by a US lower. Jay Leiderman another US lawyer said that websites like this are violating abuse acts and computer fraud acts. As I have said this site shows the IP address of the cameras but it also shows the exact longitude and latitude of the camera and can be seen on google maps by anyone who desires to find the camera. On the site they show different videos In one of my sources the writer watched footage from the site and they shows kids playing, Babies in cribs, a boy sleeping, a elderly woman in a arm chair, and a video feed to the changing room of a church.

The man who made the site exchanged emails with motherboard and the creator of the site made it clear that his website has had no clear violations of the law they claim that no hacking was used to find the cameras and get in. The creator of the site has made it clear that the site uses weak cameras passwords to get into the cameras. I disagree with what the creator of the site said because as one of something said by Jay Leiderman that it is not a crime to have a weak password but it is illegal for someone to guess their way into the password. As I looked into my article’s I saw that a top security expert in Australia said that the website is good because it shows the dark side of the internet and by doing so it is ok to display 100’s of live CCTV feeds. The same security expert says that the internet is all about access unless you have a strong password which almost sounds like they are trying to blame the fact that these cameras are being hacked on the owner of the camera instead of the owner of the site.

Insecam and other websites that live feed cameras should be looked at how legal their websites are and whether or not they should be shut down. I think that sites like this should be shut down because they clearly violate abuse acts, computer fraud, and computer hacking laws. The hole idea that sites like this a even justified to be up and running is very surprising to me I think that sites like this should not be allowed to even be up for a short period of time because of the acts that this site has to do just to get to a webcam feed . The site does not only spy on people without their knowledge they also advertise cameras and other goods on their site which give the cite a commercial motive. Although there have been many sites like this that have been shut down not all have been and the hackers who use these sites are still out there and the police have been working to put the hackers away. 16 computer hackers were arrested for hacking their ways into cameras using a emailed picture as a decoy file that uploads the RAT into the system and let the hackers control the computer. This is good news because hackers were put away and the public is being made aware of the dangers involved with weak passwords and having a webcam, baby monitor, or security camera.

Bibliography
Insecam.com Screen shot curtsy
fromhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2824960/Creepy-website-allows
-people-watch-live-stream-900-surveillance-cameras-country.html

==============================================================================================

5 March 15
In my blog I used this thesis to show the dangers of webcam hackings. How can someone hack their way into your webcam, security cam, or baby monitor and watch you and your loved ones without you even knowing about it? My blog got a very good range of comments from students at CWA to strangers, and many had the same questions. Many of the people wanted to know how the hackers got their way into the feeds. Others wanted to know why people could even hack into a camera and what the hackers were doing with the film. Many of the people commenting also left articles on how hackers did this or news of websites that hack cameras. I enjoyed the blogging process and I think it has taught me a lot of how to display my opinion in a factual way. I think the blogging process was harder than what I expected, especially showing facts in a way that does not display too much bias. One of my favorite parts of the blogging process was to read the comments left by people. There is a thrill to reading what others have to say about your opinion and whether or not they agree or disagree. It’s a very fun process. Another fun part of the blogging process was replying to those who comment, having a conversation with someone over your own work and seeing what they think of it and how they react. I really enjoyed this class and I think it has opened up my eyes to the media and the stereotypes that people don't feel comfortable talking about.

15 comments:

  1. Michael, you mention "other sites like" Insecam. Are there examples of others? If Insecam is successfully shut down, as it should be for the reasons you list here, is this still a problem? What do people who use security cameras and baby monitors need to do to protect themselves? Is this a risk for all of these devices or just certain ones? In your opening example, the family seems like they took all the right steps for their own security, so what should they have done differently? Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention so we can be more thoughtful and careful about our own security. Have you seen the news lately about "Smart" TVs? They have a voice control option that is constantly listening to anything said in your home and sending that information to a third party. Would you buy one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, TweedleDee. You mentioned that websites can be used to hack cameras, which is really an interesting topic to talk on. I read an article on the internet that may help you. This articles introduces some ways to protect you from webcam hackers.
    Link: http://us.norton.com/yoursecurityresource/detail.jsp?aid=webcam_hacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the article hopefully this will help prevent some hackings.

      Sincerely,
      TweedleDee

      Delete
  3. Interesting information. I'll make sure that I pass this information on to my colleagues.

    From:
    Toledo, OH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you have a great day
      Sincerely,
      TweedleDee

      Delete
  4. Hi Michael, I love your article and it's an interesting article. But I don't understand why do people have to connect their camera to the internet? I can understand that a baby monitor have to have access to the internet but how do hackers hack in to those cameras? Do they have an IP address of the camera? Does it mean that they can only see your webcam only if they hack into your network?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello AMD♂NVIDIA
      Thank you for reading my blog. I do not know why webcams are hooked up to the internet other then to use for sites where a webcam is used to talk to others. The way that they hack into these cameras is they use default passwords given to the camera by the company. An example of a default password could be 1234. It all depends on the user of the camera and if they have an IP address.
      Thanks for the comment

      sincerely,
      TweedleDee

      Delete
  5. Hello TweedleDee,

    Your blog is well-spoken and informative. Do these people who have their cameras hacked aware of their cameras being online? What would the websites or viewers even use the cameras for? I myself have never used a baby camera, but I have seen security cameras and such. Why would someone be allowed to hack a baby camera but not a security camera? I encourage you to continue to fight against invasions of privacy. I have had someone invade my personal accounts before and would hope nobody would experience that.

    Sincerely,

    TweedleDum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello TweedleDum,
      I am glad that you have read my blog and I hope you will make sure to pas on this info. I do not think these people are aware that they are being hacked and they do not know that they are on the internet. I am not sure why someone can hack into a baby camera. I do not know what someone would do with that video feed but i home you likes my blog and thank you for the comment

      Sincerely,
      TweedleDee

      Delete
  6. Hi Michael! I really enjoyed your article and reading about webcam hacking. It really intrigued me and I learned a lot from it. I loved your hook. Are there any other sites besides Insecam that can be used for hacking into cameras? I found a really interesting article that I think you might like (I will put the link at the end of the comment). The article is about how you could be being spied on in secret. Thank you for writing this article full of many insights. Good Job! Here is the link: http://www.today.com/news/webcam-hackers-can-spy-you-secret-1C8095607

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello GraceGiraffe Thank you for reading my blog and I hope you enjoyed it.
      Thank you for the article I look forward to reading it. There are other sites like this on the internet and I hope that they all get shut down. Thanks for the comment.
      Sincerely,
      TweedleDee

      Delete
  7. Hi Michael, I really like how your article discusses webcam hacking, because in my experience its not an issue that is very often talked about. How do you think the discoveries of these hackings affect the view of public safety in America and how do you think the lack of anonymity on the internet has effected our generation? I can definitely relate to this issue because I use webcams while using skype or facetime and also at my home there are security cameras around the area and with your article I feel much more aware of my surroundings. I found an interesting article related to your topic on CNN I think it can add to the conversation about hacking. ILink Url: webcams.http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/world/europe/uk-web-cam-hacking-explainer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, One of the reasons that I chose this topic was because it is often forgot about in the media. I think that this raises some flags for the younger people in america because we have these cameras all over are lives. Thanks for the article I look forward to reading it thanks for the comment.
      Sincerely,
      TweedleDee

      Delete
  8. Great job on addressing this topic, Michael. I am very surprised that the owner of this website has not been arrested, as this is a complete and total invasion of privacy and is completely illegal. To blame the victims for having weak passwords is like blaming somebody else for having their test cheated on by not sitting in a separate room from the cheater. Not only is this an invasion of personal privacy, it can result in a breach of national security. Also, any link that baby monitors and security cameras have with the Internet should be nonexistent. Any services that provide personal recording devices should advise caution for creating passwords and uploading footage to the internet. Thank you for discussing such a dark and serious topic, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you TweedleDee, your article is really great. The story of a 2-year-old girl's monitor got hacked in your article intrigued me a lot. How could those hackers easily spy on one's monitor just by a website? I feel the same way that those acts are against cyber rule and violates law of hacking. I agree with you that websites like that should be shut down to prevent people getting hacked. As you say in the article, those websites violate abuse acts, computer fraud, and computer hacking laws so that they should not be allowed. I think there should be more laws that can clearly point out the prohibition of this kind of acts since they are very serious problems that regard to privacy and safety online. There's also a question for us to think about. How should we really do to prevent ourselves get hacked? At last, thanks again for sharing this story and your opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Our comments will be moderated, meaning someone will approve them before they appear.

Good comments
--are always related to the content of the post;
--consider the author and the purpose of the post;
--ask or answer a question;
--add meaningful information to the content topic;
--are constructively critical, and never hurtful;
--include personal connections to what the author wrote;
--follow the writing process.

We welcome your thoughtful contributions, especially those that might help us improve our work or expand our thinking on these topics.

If you choose the Anonymous option, please sign your name if comfortable. It is easier to respond to someone with a name. Thanks!