Thursday, May 8, 2014

Technophobia Takeover

Through out the many centuries new technological discoveries have been found, however there are those who fear the new advancements from these discoveries. This is a fear of technology called technophobia. The point of technophobia that I am focusing on is technophobia online and if
Fear of Technology


it is beneficial to be unsocial online because of the fear of technology called technophobia. When a person has a technophobia then they will not release information about themselves online like online shopping, phone number, pictures, fear of tracking, fear of becoming lazy thinkers, and fear of the Internet on our lives in general. They will not do this because they know that they will constantly be tracked and as a result of do not use technology, which makes them socially unacceptable. Another argument to his could be that technophobia will keep people from being able to associate with society on social media, which is a main source of communication now.

In one of the articles I read that agreed with the ideas of technophobia, it talked about why technology should scare people and how it takes the creativity out of thought process. Children with technology anything is possible, and that essentially takes the fun out of life. "If you have so many other things to help you make it through life, why try hard to achieve anything?" Here in the decadent 21st century, "everything has to be easy, and ballet is very, very hard". Thus explaining that with children always on electronics using them to solve the mysteries of life will drain out the fun of thinking in thought process. Also proving that technology is gaining more power so eventually it will take over human life. With google now a days you can find pretty much anything or do anything from sitting with a computer, which will make people lazy and eventually lead to humans relying on technology to control their lives..

Another article I found agreeing with the fact that technophobia is a good thing is an article that I read on the Huffington Post he other day. The article is all about why a woman and her husband do not want smartphone and some reasons why they do not want one. The three main reasons for this are the device makers, big telecom, and raw materials and recycling. What make a good company to be with and have a phone with, needs to be trustworthy and honorable with your information. “I have resisted taking the plunge for many reasons. Touch screens are slimy, clinical, unsatisfying. Digital surveillance is creepy. (You know your smartphone is tracking you, right?) Apps are overhyped. As a recent book title attests, there's no app for happiness.” Jennifer Rauch tries to show that none of the companies are honest with the customers. If it had not been for her technophobia then she would be just another digi zombie helping with the end of society.

An opposing argument to the previous statement was in an article I read from a New Zealand newspaper about an elder who had been afraid of technology afraid what it offered to society. Then they were introduced to it by a woman who showed them that there was nothing to fear. “not scary at all, quickly taking in my limited ability, moulding the training session around my baby-steps desires. She understands that the fact I do something only twice a year means I have to be retrained each time.” This person was able to overcome their fear and realize that technology helps people with social interactions online and it is beneficial to be sociable online. Without technology people would have almost no communication anymore. For thousands of years there has been much technology found around the world, many people are scared of the social change that it could make. This fear is technophobia. I focused my search on if it is beneficial to be unsocial online or not because of technophobia. I believe that it is beneficial because it can slow down the technological takeover of society, which will eventually happen because we rely on technology. Technophobia causes fears in people that their personal information will be taken to affect them in the future or the future of thinkers.


Bibliography Note: Sources that are cited without a link are from a private database that is inaccessible without an account.

The fear technophobia causes fear when in use of technology, so would it be beneficial to be unsocial while online to keep information being taken offline? That was the main focus of my article on technophobia for my Digital Citizenship class. To answer my own thesis I do believe that it can be beneficial to be unsocial online because it gives a person privacy for the world and will keep most all of their personal and public information not accessible just anywhere to anyone at any time. As I was reading some of comments left for me I realized that different opinions give a new outlook on the topic of my studies. Each comment had an input on my current outlook on technophobia. My mind kept changing sides from being social online is better to unsocial is better. Some of the comments helped support my argument and make them stronger by adding bits of advice to fix or an article to read on the subject. However I did not have to research any more information from my comments because I had previously collected the data when we first got the data to put our thesis together to write out our blog topic. This project was very fun to do research on, searching through all the databases and sites to find just the right information to support your ideas. Also to find an opposing argument and find more on that so people can see both sides of the idea at hand. I wish that I could do another project like this sometime in the future.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Cassy! First of all, great article! That is one interesting topic! Anyways, after reading about how "lazy" people post things about themselves without even really think about it scares me! I know I post things on twitter that are about me a lot and who knows what could happen. Also, the fact that people track what you are doing on the computer is a little scary, too! After reading your argument though, I felt better. Just got to make sure to watch out to what we do on the internet I guess! Although, the internet is a nice way to communicate with people, so that is a good side to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abby, thanks for the comment. I completely agree with your opinions of how it can be scary that you are being tracked online and that people are being lazy online.

      Delete
  2. I really liked your insight into the many reasons behind technophobia - from privacy concerns to form factor and usability issues to just not knowing how to use the tool. I really this question you pose to readers, "You know your smartphone is tracking you, right?" because not only are smartphones tracking you, every you do is tracked online - from what you search, what you buy, and what you post, so that companies can use that information to predict what you will do next. A great example is Target's ability to predict major life events before, or as they happen:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/
    Creepy, yet true...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I will make sure to look over this article and see if I can add it into my blog.

      Delete
  3. I really liked the three point of views you introduced about this topic. I thought it was interesting that it ranged from privacy concerns to not knowing how to use technology at all. I also thought it was interesting that your smartphone tracks what your doing. It's a little scary that technology has become such a vital part of society and that some people think it could become even bigger. I think technology can be helpful and considered good but I think we should be careful not to depend on it too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I agree with you that the power that technology has gained in society is scary. It can be useful, when in the wrong hands, but mostly used for good. You are right that people should not rely on technology too much.

      Delete
  4. Cassy, I think you might be interested to know that researchers at UW have been looking at technological pushback, which may suggest that turning away from technology isn't as "socially unacceptable" as we might think. Phobias create far more extreme responses and behaviors, but there are a fair number of people "resisting the life of constant connectivity." What would you recommend for people striving for balance in their lives? You offer some important things for us to think about, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I will take a look at the technological pushback article. I would recommend to the people that are looking for balance in their life to be involved with technology, but not get taken over by it and not share a lot of information online.

      Delete
  5. Hi Cassy,
    Great job with this post! Although I do not agree with the concept of technophobia myself, I agree that it can sometimes be beneficial to someone's safety - how can you have your identity stolen if you have little to no information about you accessible on the internet? Do you think there can be a time when someone becomes too paranoid about the dangers of technology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kate, I can see why you would not agree with the concept of technophobia because when I first learned about it I thought it was silly. However when I read the articles it completely changed my opinions of the factors. Your information can be taken if there are third party or cookies on the things you use on the internet. I believe that some people really are afraid of technology and become paranoid so they will not use any technology.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your post, Cassy, on the reluctance of many people to become active online. I am intrigued by the argument that using the Internet makes people lazy --using electronics to solve questions and to explore--and takes the fun out of life. Is this necessarily true? Are you referring to just children? It seems that some uses of Internet resources allow creativity to flourish. Creating videos to share on YouTube or Upworthy seem like potentially worthwhile and stimulating activities for both young people and adults. What sorts of activities do you think actually block creativity? Thank you for presenting the technophobia side of a very provocative topic.--Ms. Riches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Ms. Riches. For some children it does take the creativity, instead of being active and doing sports they sit in their rooms and play on computers. On things where thinking is involved they use technology to solve their problems, on homework instead of putting thought in they will just look up than answers. In some cases it can cause creativity to flourish, but with the way that children are being raised with technology, it takes out the creativity because it is used in the wrong way. I think that many apps that people download and play block creativity.

      Delete

Our comments will be moderated, meaning someone will approve them before they appear.

Good comments
--are always related to the content of the post;
--consider the author and the purpose of the post;
--ask or answer a question;
--add meaningful information to the content topic;
--are constructively critical, and never hurtful;
--include personal connections to what the author wrote;
--follow the writing process.

We welcome your thoughtful contributions, especially those that might help us improve our work or expand our thinking on these topics.

If you choose the Anonymous option, please sign your name if comfortable. It is easier to respond to someone with a name. Thanks!